News from Ølen
May 29, 2008
Posted by on
Now, almost a month after the release of R3 I think it’s time for news about the area I’m responsible for: the database
First, something even more important:
- I’ve been elected to the leader of NNUG (Norwegian .NET User Group) Haugesund. Our first meeting is June 4th. Microsoft sends us their true database guru, Jon Jahren 🙂
- Microsoft says that they will release a RC (release candidate) of SQL Server 2008 in the second quarter of 2008. That means, within a month! REALLY looking forward to it!
There’s mainly three differences between R2 and R3 databases.
- R3 is much more clean (deleted MANY old SPs, views and tables, for example MSAccess, MSAccessCR2)
- New namespaces
- DDL trigger
- Database – Used by the DDL-trigger
- Security – Only stored procedures. Users_Create etc
- WinClient – Used by CR3 and CR3 Reports
Data Definition Language. This triggers on CREATE, ALTER, DROP and similar. We log everything to the stbl_Database_% tables to have version-control of objects, keep track of who’s updated what etc.